Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My Advice for Amy

Gotcha' Day is filled with so many questions - will my child cry? will she/he be hungry? will she/he be tired? will she/he accept me?
Amy, remember to let Lexi take the lead! and don't take her first reaction to you personal. Her little world has been turned upside down, she will come around! It just may take time. I wish I had brought bubbles or something for Jailyn. Though she did well emotionally, but bubbles may have helped her relax a bit more with us. I've never met a kid who didn't like bubbles.

While in China Jailyn took 3 hour naps. The other mom's that we were with kept saying, "Don't let her sleep - she wont sleep tonight." We let her sleep - she got sick the next day, but guess what if though we have been home for over a year, Jailyn still takes 3 hour naps! I'm so glad we let her sleep!

One more word of advice... I know many adopted kids suffer from constipation. While in China we gave Jailyn bottles and Congee. What she was used too. Her little world was so crazy already -the last thing she needed was more stress. We kept her on her comfort food. On the airplane ride home she had her first taste of muffins, and at home we slowly brought baby food into her diet. This really seemed to work. She never suffered from constipation. We are hoping to do the same with our 4 year old. Somehow, I need to make baby food seem perfect for a "big" girl! Plus, it's gotta be healthier for these kids!

Can't wait to see you with your little girl!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thanks Jodi! I received Lexi's gift in the mail today. It is sooo cute! I will be posting pictures of Lexi in it so soon!! I think I am almost ready to go. I have bubbles in my suitcase already! And my mom got her the CUTEST little Asian baby doll! It is 12" tall and is just the right size for a toddler to cuddle!! I have my cleft bottles also! Thanks for everything Jodi! I really appreciate it!! Amy2